It is the end of the 2nd week of withdrawal from Cymbalta. As of yesterday into last night, it became very apparent that part of the nerve pain that I had not experienced in a long time was back with a vengeance. It is best described as needles and ice picks bombarding and attacking all over…especially my feet, hands, arms and legs.
This out of control nerve pain/sensations were definitely part of my original Fibromyalgia/Polyarthralgia/Chronic Pain Disorder symptoms. So, I made the decision that I would resume the Cymbalta today. It has become very apparent that I need to utilize Cymbalta along with my current opioids in order to attempt to reign in my symptoms and pain level.
This combination does NOT get rid of the pain nor all of the symptoms; however, it DOES take the edge off…calms them enough that I can perform gentle stretching during the day. It has been a couple of weeks since I have been able to do any stretching…I have been lucky to curl up in a hot bath…to use the heat to jumble and cause other sensations.
Unfortunately, I will now be paying the price for having taken baths…a path that I know…
After battling insurance and going back and forth with my pain specialist’s office, I was finally able to have the extended release of the medication my specialist wanted me on filled!
The entire ordeal was VERY exhausting…both mentally and physically! The relief I felt once I held that bottle in my hands was overwhelming!
I am anxious to get the next few days under my belt to see how my body reacts to this new schedule. As expected, I have been much more sleepy than normal…unable to keep eyes open…so curling up in bed for unscheduled naps. This is how my body reacts the first 4-5 days…should then settle in to a better routine.
My pain specialist has also supplied additional information to insurance regarding the pain pump trial. That battle is taking quite some time. My insurance will change up come January so will be interesting to see if we have to start from zero or be able to resubmit the package they have assembled to the new insurance.
I am still amazed at how insurance dictates the treatments/therapies that the doctors/specialists prescribe for their patients! How insurance can have such power with NO relationship with us, the patients, just blows me away!
Thankful for the moment though! I am eager to see if we might have found the right combination of medications for me…at least until we can attempt the pain pump trial.
Had a good doctor appointment today. Indications are that the current pain and discomfort in my abdomen is nerves continuing to fire even though the internal problem is taken care of.
I had additional lab work done (want to rule out a kidney infection also). Will still have several ultrasounds next Monday….they want to make sure that there is not something hidden and follow up appointment on Thursday.
I am now taking on of the Neurontin meds….will be ramping up to dosage doc thinks will help to knock this out! Fingers crossed! Would love to have the last of this roller coaster finished!
Well…my story is not yet over. The additional fluid build up that we anticipated was happening is not the case. CT Scan showed no additional fluid…just the small amount we knew was left.
I am once again causing my docs to scratch their heads. I could be dealing with residual nerve pain….the nerves continuing to fire even though situation is cleared up….will be seeing my other specialist…just waiting for appointment time. Docs are also talking…in the mean time, I have to take pain meds….am told that I must keep on top of the discomfort.
I am not good about taking drugs. I have always just focused my mind and selected to “ignore”…however, with current situation it is not in my best interest so I will pick up my meds in the morning and do as doc asked.
Hopefully adding the drug treatment until we can get what is going on truly diagnosed, will allow me to get some much needed rest. I know the reduced sleep is never good. Must sleep to allow the body to recover. What a crazy cycle our body’s can get into!